How to Protect You and Your Family from Trump’s Anti-Immigration Executive Order


You’ve probably heard about Trump’s recent Executive Order titled “Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States”, which details provisions that would make plenty of immigrants and nonimmigrants fear for their citizenship status. If you fall under one of the following classifications, here’s what you can do to safeguard your citizenship:

  • Permanent U.S. Residents – Plenty of U.S. residents are unaware that people who are not American citizens must carry at all times proof of their legal status. You must likewise begin the renewal of your green card at least six months befire its expiration date.
  • Naturalized U.S. Citizens – If you’re within 100 miles of any border in the country, you should always have with you a passport, a naturalization certificate (a photocopy would do), and/or a passport card.
  • Legally Present Nonimmigrants –You must always carry your passport containing your entry stamp, I-94 card, employment authorization document, or any other evidence of your legal presence in the U.S.
  • Undocumented Immigrants living in the U.S. for 10 years or more, including children – The good news is that you might qualify for Release on Bond and Cancellation of Removal. However, you must act quickly to begin the paperwork required for securing a bond and proving your case.
  • Undocumented Immigrants residing in the U.S. for two years or more – Always carry proof of your U.S. residence for two years at least. Examples include receipts, utility bills, mail, and even social media posts.
  • Undocumented Immigrants living in the U.S. for less than two years – Unfortunately, you would need to have a solid plan in case you get picked up by the authorities. Likewise, ensure that your family members or friends are aware that they could check for your name on the website for ICE detainees.

Put simply, if you’re under one of the abovementioned groups, it’s best that you always have proof of your status in the U.S. or risk being deported. You may consider consulting an immigration lawyer for your case as well.